Re: keyboard mux driver (straw man proposal & code)

From: Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin_at_savvis.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:37:42 -0700
Alexandre,

>>> -- "Caps lock" would capitalize main keyboard (there are no
>>> letters on the keypad).
>>
>> "caps lock" on keypad or main keyboard? i'm not sure i understand
>> the problem.
>
> Sorry for not being clear -- it was mere statement of fact, not
> report of the problem. I guess, it should have said: ...despite LED
> not being lit, "caps lock" did capitalize keys on the main keyboard.
> Keypad does not have "caps lock" or "num lock".

now i get it :) just like i explained in previous email keyboard lights
will not work for now. kbdmux does not call SETLED ioctl on slave
keyboards yet.

>>> -- "Num lock" would switch keypad into numeric mode, but leave
>>> main keyboard alone (as it is the case with laptop keyboards it
>>> has sprinkling of numerals on the right side overlapping
>>> letters).
>>
>> again "num lock" on keypad or main keyboard?
>
> "Num lock" on the main keyboard (keypad does not have one) switches
> *keypad* into numeric mode leaving main keyboard in alpha -- main
> keyboard does not really have a numeric part -- it overlaps some of
> the alpha keys.

this is actually correct (i think). because slave keyboards are set to
K_RAW mode, kbdmux will get raw scancodes, not characters. the (good or
bad?) side effect of this is that kbdmux will act as if it was one huge
keyboard with lots of duplicated keys :) that is you should be able to
press "ctrl" on one keyboard and "c" on another keyboard but it will
still look like you pressed ctrl+c on the same keyboard :)

the keypad is probably programmed to send the same scancodes as normal
101/102-keys keyboard would. that is for the group of keys on the right
side (numeric keypad typically found under the keyboard lights). as in
101/102-keys keyboard case hitting numlock will only switch this group
of keys between numbers/arrows.

i guess this gives an answer to what to do with SETLED ioctl. kbdmux
probably should send SETLED ioctl to all slave keyboards. that is
hitting capslock on one keyboard should set capslock on all keyboards.

>> thanks again for trying this and reporting the problems. i will try
>> to get myself a couple of usb keyboards and reproduce/fix the
>> problems.
>
> If you are in or somewhere near :) continental US, send me your
> address in the private mail -- I'll ship you that keypad.

actually Eric Anderson is going to send me a couple of usb keyboards. he
said he has a pile of them :)

is this the keypad you currently have?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3380773&sourceid=11790802501271934686

thanks,