Re: [CALL FOR TESTERS] VESA High Resolution Console support from DragonFly

From: Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:59:32 +0900
2005/5/25, Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net>:
> Hi, Eric,
>
> $B:_(B 2005-05-25$B;0E*(B 13:28 +0900$B!$(BEric Kjeldergaard$B<LF;!'(B
> > 2005/5/23, Xin LI <delphij_at_frontfree.net>:
> > > Hi, Jeremie,
> > >
> > > $B:_(B 2005-05-23$B0lE*(B 02:38 +0200$B!$(BJeremie Le Hen$B<LF;!'(B
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > I think so, it should consume more CPU than classical text mode console
> > > since it draws characters, rather than giving the responsibility to the
> > > video card.  A possible optimization would be to map the video card
> > > memory into the space.
> >
> > Tested on my Thinkpad R40 : Radeon 7500.  Is it supposed to consume a
> > LOT of cpu?  Perhaps there's something funny with -O2 or similar
> > because some things are VERY slow.  I have not, however, noticed any
> > major bugs, but screen redraws will take ~1 second if the screen is
> > not cleared and thus causes powerd to kick my processor up to full
> > speed often.  Also, the screensaver (logo_saver) seems to take a while
> > to display.  The screen goes black for 10 - 15 seconds before the
> > screen saver displays.  Through all this, though, it's still so worth
> > it.
>
> Yes, it requires more CPU cycles if you use raster mode.  Does it also
> slow down your console if you are running under text mode?  I hope
> not :-)

If I'm in text mode it's fine, but of course low-res.  When I'm in
raster mode I think it's maybe slower than it needs to be?  (Slower
than similar situations in Linux, for instance.)  Also, if I have some
terminals in text and some in raster, the switch between them is long.
 That's hardly a problem by itself, though, as I rarely run mixed
terminal resolutions.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.