Re: Disable read/write caching to disk?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:07:15 -0500
Bjoern Koenig wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> Bjoern Koenig wrote:
>>
>> Thanks.. I've just read (quickly) both man pages.  It seems as though
>> you are suggesting disabling the physical disk caching, which should
>> not make a difference in my case.  The disk would report whatever it
>> needs to report to either host, and those should be in sync.
>

> Oh, I'm sorry. I have misunderstood you then.
>
>> When I mount the filesystem on host B ro, it shows me the filesystem
>> as of the time that I mounted it ro.  Any subsequent changes on host A
>> (which has it mounted rw) are not seem on host B unless I unmount and
>> mount again on host B.  This seems like a FreeBSD feature and not a
>> general scsi feature.
>

> By what mechanism do you mount the partitions remote? I'm not very
> experienced with this. I'm thinking of a typical network file system or
> GEOM gate.

I have two servers connected directly to a fiber channel disk array
(containing 16 WD Raptor SATA drives in RAID0+1 configuration).  Each
server sees the same exact luns, so I create the partition and
filesystem from host A.  I mount it (rw) on host A.  Then, if I do a:
camcontrol rescan all
on host B, I pick up the fiber channel disk and it sees it as da0 (just
like on host A).  I can then mount it rw or ro on host B.

I think using GEOM gate might give a similar situation.

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.