Re: Disable read/write caching to disk?

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:00:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 26 May 2005, Scott Long wrote:
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>> On May 26, 2005, at 8:49 PM, Eric Anderson wrote:
>>> So it sounds dangerous, but not disastrous..  Sounds like soft- updates
>>> would help this alot, so I'll turn them back on for this  filesystem (I
>>> typically do use it).
>>>
>>> At a minimum, it would be awesome to even have a way to do one host  rw
>>> and several doing ro.  Think of the case of a web server farm,  where it's
>>> nearly all reads.
>>
>> use NFS or something. Not ideal but it allows you to have lots of  clients
>> using the same space without the disasters.
>
> NFS and Coda/AFS require that you have an intelligent node, i.e. a
> computer, in front of each disk.  The whole idea of a Fibre Channel
> or iSCSI SAN is that you have a network of disks connected to a network
> of computers, all able to communicate with each other and not have to
> be fronted by a computer.  This is quite important for high-availability
> storage networks that want the reliability and scalability of not having
> a single computer be the choke point or single-point-of-failure for a
> particular set of data.  Granted it's still somewhat of a niche, but as
> persistent storage and data mining become more part of the mainstream,
> it'll start becoming very important.  Right now FreeBSD simply isn't an
> option, while Solaris, NT, and Linux are.

Fair enough. So the question becomes: What are the Linux folks doing that
we aren't and how?

Andy

/*  Andre Guibert de Bruet  * 6f43 6564 7020 656f 2e74 4220 7469 6a20 */
/*   Code poet / Sysadmin   * 636f 656b 2e79 5320 7379 6461 696d 2e6e */
/*   GSM: +1 734 846 8758   * 5520 494e 2058 6c73 7565 6874 002e 0000 */
/* WWW: siliconlandmark.com *      Tormenting bytes since 1980.       */