Re: Disable read/write caching to disk?

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:11:04 -0600
Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>
>> Agreed, but as you say, FreeBSD is not there yet, and since the OP is
>> on FreeBSD, and wants to have multiple computers attached, NFS would
>> be one way of making that happen.  And if you leave the other
>> computers attached by the FC but not mounted, if on goes down, you can
>> replace it with another, and switch your nfs server over.  Not as
>> ideal but doable on FreeBSD.
>

> This hack would not be suitable in an HA environment -- It requires
> human intervention or some really fugly scripts not just for the NFS
> server, but also for the clients. These scripts would have to figure out
> how to recover NFS file locking state and consistency when the backup
> machine fails over.
>
> It seems as if NFS in this type of setup introduces more problems than
> it solves.
>
> Andy

So what we need is some manpower.  I estimate that a proof-of-concept
port of GFS would take about 4-6 solid months.  There is also a volume
management aspect to GFS, but that is less important and the existing
GEOM classes can largely fill the role already.  Anyone interested in
taking a serious look at it?

Scott