Re: wpa_supplicant + NDIS (broadcom) + linksys WRT54G possible?

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 01:45:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 30 May 2005, Doug Barton wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I just bought a new linksys WRT54G broadband router and I want to enable
> WPA-PSK on it, and my freebsd -current laptop. I got the configuration
> working in Windows with the same machine, then booted current and added the
> following to my kernel config. The kernel sources are from 25 May, I will try
> updating next.
>
> device          wlan                    #802.11 support
> device          wlan_wep                #802.11 WEP support
> device          wlan_ccmp               #802.11 CCMP support
> device          wlan_tkip               #802.11 TKIP support
> device          wlan_xauth              #802.11 external authenticator
>
> The NDIS driver works great for my Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN
> Mini-PCI Card, and I had static WEP working with it previously as well. After
> rebooting with the new kernel and rebuilding my NDIS module, I compiled
> ports/security/wpa_supplicant (the latest version).
>
> On my linksys I have it set up for WPA-PSK with TKIP. I also tried AES, no
> luck. My wpa_supplicant.conf file looks like this (mostly just the defaults):
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=1
> fast_reauth=1
> network={
>        ssid="myssid"
>        proto=WPA
>        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
>        group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
>        psk="mypass"
>        priority=2
> }
>
> Changing the eapol_version didn't have any effect. There is a log of what's
> happening at http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/wpa.log. If there is anything
> else I can do to help debug this, let me know.

Two updates. First, it looks like this is definitely a driver issue, as I
dug out my old ath pccard, and it works fine with the same
wpa_supplicant.conf file. Second, the latest sources definitely improved the
situation. The card now associates with the AP, and wpa_supplicant says:

WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:80:c8:1b:28:43 [PTK=TKIP
GTK=TKIP]

However, the TKIP lines never show up when I do an ifconfig, and the
interface doesn't seem to be passing packets as dhcp never sees any offers.

New log is at http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/wpa2.log

hth,

Doug