Re: Intel EM64T Processor Platform

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:42:40 -0700
On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 12:00:44AM -0400, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005, Roland Smith wrote:
> >On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 12:00:29AM -0800, Jack L. wrote:
> >>
> >>What cpu type should I use for make.conf and the kernel if I want to
> >>use the AMD64 platform?
> >
> >You do not need to have anything special in make.conf, and the GENERIC
> >kernel for amd64 contains the necessary 'machine' and 'cpu' paramaters.
>
> This is not entirely correct. Sure, your system will run without anything
> special in make.conf; But if you want decent performance, you probably
> want to set CPUTYPE to "nocona" in order to get a build that is tailored
> to your cpu (SSE3, etc). More information on what that CPUTYPE enables is
> available in /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk.

You're saying that one doesn't get decent performance on a Nocona with
stock GCC code generation?  While one may get noticeably better
performance with CPUTYPE=nocona, I doubt it is a huge difference.  What
I'm saying is, I sure one will have decent performance with a stock
FreeBSD/amd64 install.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)