Re: TSC instead of ACPI: powerd doesn't work anymore (to be expected?)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:02:02 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <81213.1130754398_at_critter.freebsd.dk>
>            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> : I am going to insist that clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, CLOCK_UPTIME)
> : remain precise.
>
> 1ms is way too imprecise for the stuff we do at work.  We need 3-4 more
> orders of magnitude at a minimum from the time keeping system. Ideally,
> through well documented interfaces.

While I agree that for many consumers, sub-1ms accuracy is too low, I
suggest that as a vendor of atomic clocks, your company is in fact not the
average consumer of timing information. :-).

One nice thing about the Linux TSC model, despite its limitations, is that
it provides a middle ground between incrementing the clock in ticks and
providing a more continuous measure of time, by allowing interpolation
between ticks.

Robert N M Watson