Re: Rocket Port update patch

From: Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko_at_ambrisko.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:44:37 -0800 (PST)
Scott Long writes:
| Doug Ambrisko wrote:
| > I've brought in the changes to the driver from the Comtrol web site.
| > This greatly improves the RocketPort HW support for those devices.
| > The changes are at:
| > 	http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/rp_current.patch
| >
| > I'd like to commit it so things just work out of the box.  I tried to
| > maintain all the various FreeBSD & Comtrol changes.
| >
| > It works here on my previously unsupported card.
|
| One thing stands out on the brief skim.  Why on earth does the code need
| to keep a global count of the number of adapters, and why does it bail
| if there are more than 4 adapters?

I don't know.  Do we have a contact there to ask questions?  I don't have
more then one 16 port adapter to see if there is a problem.

That brings up a point, we need to scope the functions and stuff so
they don't conflict with other stuff.  I kind-of hate to change
all the names to make it easier to merge in changes later.
Should we change all the sFlushRxFIFO type stuff to rp_s_flush_rx_fifo
and put the globals into the softc's?  Obviously they've put some
effort into supporting FreeBSD which is a good thing.  I don't know
how things go between them and us.

Thanks,

Doug A.