Re: where is the BEASTIE???

From: Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:16:53 +0200
> > I've just cvsuped and rebuilt my system from 6.0-RC1 to 6.0-STABLE,
> > and I've noticed "FreeBSD" ASCII logo in bootloader menu instead of
> > good old red Beastie... How can I take the Beastie back? ;)

> Where do you see any menu? I don't see anything of that kind here!?

If you already have a /boot/loader.rc file it wouldn't be updated during
the system rebuilding. This is because all platforms' loader Makefiles
have lines like following:

.if !exists(${DESTDIR}/boot/loader.rc)
FILES+= loader.rc
.endif

There are two versions of default loader.rc file:
for i386 and pc98 it is src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.rc
and for the rest it is src/sys/boot/forth/loader.rc

Only the first version loads the boot menu. You can copy that file to
the /boot directory manually. And to get the old Beastie on the boot
menu you should set a loader_logo variable to 'beastiebw' or to 'beastie'
before 'beastie-start' command there:

\ Load in the boot menu
include /boot/beastie.4th

\ Set the loader logo