Re: /boot/kernel/kernel.debug on 6.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso ?

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 06:33:47 +1100
On Fri, 2005-Nov-04 15:09:05 +0100, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
>It seems that the new ISOs are here ;-)

The ISOs will always appear slightly before the official announcement -
this ensures that they have a chance to propogate before people start
looking for them.  The Project has also stated that they are subject
to change without notice at any time prior to the official announcement.
(The final build has to be marked -RELEASE and get pushed to the master
website.  If a problem is found with it, then it will get fixed and
rebuilt with the same name).  [And, yes, I realise 6.0-RELEASE has been
officially announced but that was about ˝hr after this mail]

>I was initrigued by the large size of 6.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso (43MB)
>relative to 5.4-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso (21MB)
>
>The increase seems to come from a kernel.debug : is it intended ?

There was a recent thread about installing kernel.debug to ensure that
correct debugging symbols were available even if someone had rebuilt
their kernel.  I think it's an excellent idea to distribute kernel.debug
because it should allow users to provide better quality problem reports.
(Though I'm less certain about / being the best place to store the
kernel.debug file).

--
Peter Jeremy