Re: deadlocks with SMP and Pentium 3

From: Bjoern Koenig <bkoenig_at_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:37:50 +0100
Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:56:35PM +0200, Bjoern Koenig wrote:
>
>>Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>

>>>You need to break to DDB, trace processes and examine lock state with
>>>commands like 'show alllocks' and 'show lockedvnods' to see what is
>>>going on.
>>
>>Unfortunately the machine freezes completely and I can't break to the
>>debugger anymore.
>

> Try with KDB_STOP_NMI (called STOP_NMI) in 7.0.

This didn't help either, but finally I found a solution. The server
worked fine for a while; the only difference was that I used a PCI ATA
controller at that time. So I thought that it must have something to do
with the system BIOS or the onboard ATA controller. In a discussion
forum someone gave the hint to change the hard disk drive settings in
the BIOS setup from "Auto" to a user defined value. I can't really
understand why FreeBSD with SMPng stumble on this, but surprisingly it
seems like that it works now. It must be a weird BIOS or hardware bug.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Björn