Re: May be a bug in fsck [ after super block crash on 5.4-STABLE ]

From: Oliver Brandmueller <ob_at_e-Gitt.NET>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 00:19:25 +0100
Hi.

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 12:11:24AM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> X> That's correct.  Fortunately, given that we have some ways to validate
> X> whether the superblock is valid, it is not too hard to automatically
> X> detect which type the FS actually is.
>
> I think this feature is already present in libufs, since dumpfs(8)
> can detect UFS1/UFS2 type of filesystem.

Well, the original problem was in incorrect superblock. To find the
second one you need to check 32 or 160 for an valid superblock. If you
can get the information if it's UFS1 or UFS2 only from the superblock,
then you gotta check both (in the worst case). Kinda chicken and egg
problem.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |