Re: Freebsd 6.0 doesnt detect local APIC on a Pentium 3 machine

From: Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:15:04 +0530
>>>> "jb" == "John Baldwin" said:

jb> We don't detect the local APIC via MSR's or the APIC bit in
jb> cpu_features, but rely on a working MP Table or MADT table
jb> to setup both the local APIC(s) and I/O APIC(s).

Unfortunately not having the APIC enabled in the BIOS also
means that we cannot use PMCs, the APIC timer or the thermal
monitor, even if the CPU implements these features.

My too simple experiment attempting to enable the local APIC
on an AMD K7 box didn't go very well; this would be entirely
due to lack of clue on my part since Linux 2.4 seems to be
able to turn on the APIC on the same hardware without issues.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy