Re: RELENG_6 Kernel doesn't build due to DEVFS

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:31:12 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> Hi Andrew, Robert,
>
>>> I haven't been able to build a GENERIC 6.0 kernel on amd64 for about a week
>>> now because of this error:
>>
>> Make sure you buildworld before buildkernel, there was a compiler tweak,
>> and the new compiler version is required to build the new kernel.
>
> I've run into this too, because I used to compile my kernel manually
> (the old way).  This method will indeed use the old compiler, thus you
> will need to use the buildkernel target.
>
> Robert, FWIW, what was the compiler tweak you are talking about ?

Sorry about the delay in responding to this, just found your e-mail while
starting to catch up on some older ones.  The tweak below fixes a bug in
which valid syntax was not accepted by the computer.  This was followed by
several commits that introduced that valid syntax into the source tree,
meaning that the tree would not build with an older compiler due to the
older compiler incorrectly rejecting it as invalid.  Ideally, commits to
update the compiler are made, and then after some longish delay (a few
weeks), the source code is updated to make use of new compiler features.
In this case, the changes came in close proximity, resulting in a few more
stubbed toes.

obrien      2005-09-07 09:23:39 UTC

   FreeBSD src repository

   Modified files:
     contrib/gcc          c-decl.c
   Log:
   Fix bug where static forward declarations weren't accepted.
   This allows us to fix non-ISO-C constructs in our kernel to legal ISO-C.

   Submitted by:   rodrigc
   Obtained from:  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2005-09/msg00006.html

   Revision  Changes    Path
   1.13      +5 -2      src/contrib/gcc/c-decl.c

Robert N M Watson