Re: Marvell SATA Support

From: Dima Dorfman <dd_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:58:54 +0000
Søren Schmidt <sos_at_FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On 07/11/2005, at 10:20, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > noneX_at_pciX:Y:Z: class=XXX card=0x518015d9 chip=0x504111ab rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> >     vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
> >     device   = '88SX504 4-port SATA I PCI-X Controller'
> >     class    = mass storage
> >     subclass = RAID
> >
> >In its current state, I can't see any disks attached to this
> >controller. Is there an easy way to make it work without RAID? I'd
> >hate to put another controller into this box.
>
> The marvell chips doesn't look like a normal ATA controller *at all*,
> they are very different animals that actually could be dealt with in
> a seperate driver if need be.

Okay, thanks. Sounds like I'll have to get another controller for now.

Since the BIOS and the loader can see the drives, would it be possible
to make the ata driver use the BIOS interface to attach the disks? Any
way to see them, even if it's slow, is better than not seeing them at
all. It's an embedded controller, so being able to use it in at least
some capacity would be nice.

Thanks,

Dima.