Re: 3ware 9550sx driver for freeBSD 6 amd64 ??

From: Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 20:14:52 -0800
2005/11/8, ke.han <ke.han_at_redstarling.com>:
> Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> >>I am aware of all this.  This knowledge base article I reference (here
> >>it is again:  http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=14546   has the
> >>source and instructions for the new driver.  All that is needed is for
> >>someone to compile it!!!  I cannot compile this for 64 bit since I don't
> >>have a working machine with EM64T until after I have a compiled driver.
> >>
> >>Is there anyone out there with an EM64T box that can download the source
> >>and instructions and compile the driver??
> >>
> >>thanks, Jon
> >

> > You can't use a module since the twa driver is in 6.0-RELEASE and the
> > module won't load since it uses the same symbols. However, my
> > coworker, Seth Kingsley compiled it today for 6.0-RELEASE and just
> > gave me the CD, so if you can wait for a couple minutes, I'll put it
> > up on http://www.sitetronics.com/~dodell/kernel-9550sx
> >
> > --Devon
> >

> Thanks for the download...got it.  why is your file 7m when the kernel
> module I compiled for i386 is only 57k?

Again, this is because you cannot load the twa module into a
6.0-RELEASE GENERIC kernel. The 6.0 GENERIC kernel already has the twa
driver built into it, just without support for the SX cards. Thus you
have to build the driver into the kernel (which is what Seth did --
that is a 6.0-RELEASE amd64 kernel with the `fixed' twa driver).

> Also, are you saying that I must compile the driver into the kernel?

Yes, because, as previously stated, the module will not load. The
symbols in the twa module have the _same names_ as the symbols in the
kernel. The krtld will detect this and refuse to load your module.

> This means I first have to be able to install to a single drive on the
> system first, right??

No, just boot the machine with the kernel I posted and before
rebooting (after the install) make sure you copy that kernel over.

> If this is the case, this gets me back to my other problem which is the
> 6.0-RELEASE installer won't find my single hard drive (either EIDE or
> SATA) which I have directly connected to the tyan i7520 mobo ;-( ...I
> have posted this problem as a seperate discussion in paralle with this one.
>
> thanks, ke han

If you do it as described above, you should have no such problem.

--Devon