Re: amd64 6-release cd install, no serial console joy

From: Michael Vince <mv_at_roq.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:44:52 +1100
John Baldwin wrote:

>On Tuesday 08 November 2005 01:10 am, Michael VInce wrote:
>

>>I am having similar problems on a Dell 2850  using 6.0R AMD64, but I
>>believe its not something to do with my hardware although I don't have
>>any other AMD64/EMT64 server to test on.
>>
>>I don't think I have actually done a ISO install via serial console on
>>6.0-Release but I think I did on beta versions and it did work.
>>I have been trying to do a PXE install and watching it all via serial
>>console and it works fine as long as I dont use 6.0-Release files. Using
>>a 6.0beta with PXE is working it fully boots the kernel and brings up
>>sysinstall my only problem now is that when it tries to do a FTP install
>>it goes for a 6.0beta5 directory which doesn't exist. When I  try to use
>>a 6.0-Release I can get it to boot loader and then get it to load the
>>kernel but after that it disappears don't get any boot messages at all.
>>
>>Mike
>>

>Have you checked to see if there are any device hints at the loader prompt?
>It may be that /boot/device.hints is missing on the CD for some reason, and
>the serial console requires at least one hint to set the flags on sio0 to
>work properly.

I checked on both of my PXE setups (which sit in side by side
directories) and device.hints files on the 6.0-BETA5 and 6.0-RELEASE are
identical
In fact most of the /boot/ directory files in the Beta5 and Release are
identical except for mfsroot.gz , loader.rc. The "beastie.4th" is in a
extra file in Release

I have now successfully used the Beta5 as a PXE boot installer and
changed the Release name in sysinstall as Boris suggested to install the
final release files.

Mike