Re: Generic Kernel API

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 23:18:43 +0100
In message <1A496451-166E-46F1-8363-19F117156FEE_at_mac.com>, Charles Swiger write
s:

>Apple has found that using inheritance is a big win for them: "In
>addition, code reusability decreases the memory footprint of drivers;
>drivers ported from Mac OS 9, for example, have been up to 75%
>smaller in Mac OS X."  Of course, it's easier to say such things then
>to write the code, but Apple has achieved pretty good results from
>the IOKit.

Apple also has significantly better control over the hardware
they have to write drivers for.

That said, there is a lot of stuff which could be improved in our
APIs.

And I wouldn't mind getting a "C with classes" language with a couple
of domain-specific extensions in the bargain.