Re: 6.0 panics with 3GB and 4GB RAM

From: Jon Dama <jd_at_ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:20:17 -0800 (PST)
Check your memory loadings. e.g., on steppings CG or older, an opteron
could only support 6 "loads" at DDR400.  Most 1GB floating around are
actually double load sticks, therefore 1GBx4 = 8 loads = out-of-spec.

Many motherboards read off from the DRAM itself that it supports DDR400
and switch into that mode without considering that the processor needs the
memory to be throttled down to DDR333.

Otherwise, test your setup with memtest64.  Experience has shown that if
you built your system from parts about 1 in 20 memory sticks will have a
defect that will be picked up by memtest64 (but which you otherwise might
never notice for a while, esp if you aren't using ECC memory).

Systems that are professionally integrated tend to fair much better;
either because they test their memory or just managed to get more
trustworthy supplies of it by not being as price sensitive.

I had big issues with 5.3 4GB+ but these are definitely resolved.  Now if
you want to complain about how programs running in linux32 emulation can
panic the kernel, I'm with you.  :-)