Re: Crash using tun device

From: Victor Snezhko <snezhko_at_indorsoft.ru>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:02:23 +0600
Pete Carah <pete_at_altadena.net> writes:

> I now (cvsup as of a day ago, and also from a week ago) see a
> spontaneous reboot when using the tun device from userland ppp.  This
> occurs with either umodem or an ssh tunnel on the serial side, and
> crashes immediately after the IP addresses are set.  I don't know if it
> is in route setting or not; the ssh tunnel script doesn't set the
> default route via the tunnel (shoot self in foot, anyone?).

There is a known bug in netinet6 that might cause this behaviour
(although, I didn't see reboots, only panics). The fix is known but
has not been committed yet. Here it is:

--- netinet6/mld6.c	Wed Nov  9 08:27:14 2005
***************
*** 640,645 ****
--- 640,649 ----
  		mld6_stop_listening(in6m);
  		ifma->ifma_protospec = NULL;
  		LIST_REMOVE(in6m, in6m_entry);
+ 		if (in6m->in6m_timer != IN6M_TIMER_UNDEF)
+ 			mld_stoptimer(in6m);
  		free(in6m->in6m_timer_ch, M_IP6MADDR);
  		free(in6m, M_IP6MADDR);
  	}

> I didn't see this a month or two ago afaik, though it has been a while
> since I had to use ppp on either laptop.

The bug I mentioned was committed on Oct 21.

If the fix don't help, try to disable INET6 and see if that helps.

--
WBR, Victor V. Snezhko
EMail: snezhko_at_indorsoft.ru