Strange behaviour of bfe driver with Broadcom 4401

From: <freebsd_at_newmillennium.net.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:51:13 +1100
I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 9300, so of course the first thing
I did was gutted it and installed FreeBSD :)

I am having some problems with the bfe driver on this machine (running
7-CURRENT as of a few minutes ago). When the system boots, bfe0 is down, and
shows a 100mbit link (as expected). If I bring the interface up, either by
throwing dhclient at it, or by manually doing an 'ifconfig bfe0 up', it
loses carrier.

Forcing the media to 100BaseTX or 10BaseT/UTP does not resolve the
situation.

Using the NDISulator does provide a workaround.

I'll try Knoppix tomorrow when I get to work, and provide information on
whether it works better.

--
Alastair D'Silva            mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant       fax: 0413 181 661