Re: 6.0 Release freeze

From: Brian Candler <B.Candler_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:09:54 +0000
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 06:27:21PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > The problem with jdk-1.5, eclipse and openoffice-2 it happened with two
> > other machines ( 1 acer notebook and other is a dell desktop ).
> > It considers that Jdk-1.5 is in alpha stage.
>
> No, userland applications do not cause spontaneous reboots unless
> there is a deeper underlying problem.

Agreed - although this may be a different problem.

For the 6.0 machine which is freezing, the short hardware description you
posted is insufficient. You need to post the full output of 'dmesg' so
people here can see exactly what hardware you have. (Preferably from booting
in verbose mode)

There is also one simple thing which is worth trying: boot with ACPI
disabled. I suffered random reboots with early 5.x on my home machine, which
went away when ACPI was disabled (although later 5.x series were fine). It's
worth a try. If it works, then you can provide help to improve the ACPI
code.

Regards,

Brian.