Re: Order of files with 'cp'

From: Ulrich Spoerlein <q_at_galgenberg.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:13:33 +0100
Brian Candler wrote:
> I've noticed on FreeBSD-5.4 and -6.0 that the order in which 'cp' copies
> multiple files does not match the order they're given on the command line.
> This is noticeable when the target server is remote and/or slow (e.g. NFS;
> USB flash device).
>
> I guess it's not especially important, but it's slightly annoying in that I
> have a dumb USB MP3 player, and it plays the tracks in the raw order they
> appear in the filesystem, not by sorting filenames or anything like that.

me too. Right now I cp my files in a for-loop, which will retain the
order. Not a really nice solution.

> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If it can be done without creating too much confusion in the code, I'm
all for it. Sadly I'm not familiar with the code ...

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44