Re: Using ccache for build{world, kernel}

From: Nicolas Blais <nb_root_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:42:57 -0500
> The ccache port is not broken. Rather, the assumption that any port can
> deal with CC="foo bar" is wrong. Some ports choke because they've never
> seen a CC like that (libtool15 comes to mind), some may choke because
> their build can't deal with a space in a program name (shell word splitting
> at the wrong time or not at all is a likely culprit). Some insist on
> their own special-tailored compiler (openoffice). The build hackery out
> there in 13000 ports is unbelievably, uh, creative. To avoid all of these
> issues you have to replace all of /usr/bin/{cc,c++,gcc,g++,...} and
> /usr/local/bin/gcc-ooo and that ilk with a symlink to /usr/local/bin/ccache
> and put the real compilers in some other directory. In other words, the
> ccache installation is as transparent as can be. The various builds don't
> even know that they are using ccache when they run /usr/bin/cc and you
> don't need any CC, CXX or PATH sequence hackery. Usually this means to set
> CCACHE_PATH which collides with the needs of a "make buildworld". So, you
> really need two different strategies, one when building
> world/kernel, and one for all other purposes. That's what I do right now
> and so far I have no problems with ports and ccache.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Jens

Okay, but is /usr/local/share/doc/ccache/ccache-howto-freebsd.txt still valid?
Such as :
To use ccache add the following to /etc/make.conf

.if !defined(NOCCACHE)
.if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/src*}
CC=/usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc
CXX=/usr/local/libexec/ccache/c++
.else
CC=cc
CXX=c++
.endif
.else
CC=/usr/bin/cc
CXX=/usr/bin/c++
.endif

I'm asking because I'm slightly confused (sorry) as some people tell me to not
put the block in /etc/make.conf.  If I don't put anything, my .ccache folder
remains empty (therefore ccache not being used).
Whatever the real usage of ccache, it should be mentionned in that file, or
during 'make install' as a pkg-message.

Thanks,
Nicolas.
--
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Nov 15 06:21:56 EST 2005
root_at_clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A