Re: Compaq ProLiant 1600 server freezes when detecting keyboard controller

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:35:30 -0600
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 03:34:07PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> In my case, I have a -current kernel from August 20th 2005 that
> continues to boot properly. Subsequent kernels, including both Oct 20
> and Nov 17, fail to boot past the atkbdc point. It's an interesting
> freeze in that cntrl-alt-del doesn't perform a reboot. The Aug 20 kernel
> lines corresponding to that point look like this:
>
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0

I've seen this freeze on a couple of 1600s with 6.0-RELEASE.  Does this
system have multiple processors?  If not, try changing the "OS Type"
setting in the BIOS to "Other".  That fixed it for me.

I've had success with using Other for non-SMP kernels, and using the
UnixWare 2.1 setting for SMP kernels.  I didn't have to use this
workaround on 5.4, but I'm not sure when it broke.

ProLiants in general seem to be finicky beasts with BSD...  I also
noticed that 6.0 detects a phantom USB controller and when it attempts
to allocate resources to it (and fails), the serial port redirection for
the console dies.  I can't prove that there isn't hardware on the board
somewhere, but these boxes have no USB ports and there's no mention of
it in the BIOS.  Commenting out uhci from the kernel fixes the serial
console.

Craig