Re: Lasted NDIS wrapper for D-Link DWL-520+ on RELENG_6

From: Beecher Rintoul <akbeech_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:38:28 -0900
On Wednesday 23 November 2005 09:28 pm, Bill Paul wrote:
> Ok, there's something I just have to know: what the hell did you mean
> in the Subject: line when you said "Lasted?"
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to use my PCI Wireless card with NDISulator from Bill Paul.
> > I have tried to gather as much details as possible browsing through
> > recent wpaul's posts, I hope this will be enough.  If misfortune made me
> > forget some details, I apologize for it and please, be indulgent and ask
> > them.
>
> Fortune has nothing to do with it.
>
> I think you picked the wrong driver.
>
> Your device's PCI vendor/device/subsystem ID says:
> > % none0_at_pci0:8:0: class=0x028000 card=0x3b041186 chip=0x9066104c rev=0x00
> > hdr=0x00 %     vendor   = 'Texas Instruments (TI)'
> > %     device   = 'TNETW1130(ACX111) 802.11b/g Wireless Cardbus/PCI
> > Adapter' %     class    = network
>
> And you said you used the driver from:
> > I'm trying to use the lastest driver for this card provided by D-Link :
> >     ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwl520+/Driver/dwl520+_drivers_307.zip
>
> Now, The first thing you should have done is to actually inspect the
> .INF file. Like the self-documenting ndisgen(8) script tells you, this
> is the file that actually contains the device ID information that the
> Windows Plug & Play Mangler will use when trying to match a device
> to a driver. The AIRPLUS.INF file says:
>
> [D-Link]
> %AIRPLUS.DeviceDesc1% = AIRPLUS.8400, PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8400&SUBSYS_3B001186
> %AIRPLUS.DeviceDesc2% = AIRPLUS.8400, PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8400&SUBSYS_3B011186
>
> Note that the PCI vendor ID (0x104c) matches your device, but the
> device ID (0x8400) does not (yours is 0x9066).
>
> In this case, the .INF file tells Windows to look for two possible
> devices. In reality, both devices use the same chip (vendor 0x104c,
> device 0x8400), but there are two board variants (one with 0x3b001186,
> the other 0x3b011186). The subsystem ID is really another vendor/device
> ID combination (0x1186 is D-Link's vendor ID, 0x3b00 and 0x3b01 are
> the device codes D-Link has assigned to their boards). Exactly what
> the differences are between the board revs is anyone's guess. Maybe
> they use the same Texas Instruments chip, but with slightly different
> RF circuitry. Maybe they're really the same electronically, but D-Link
> decided to give each production run their own ID code because they're
> funny that way.
>
> In any case, not only do the vendor ID and device ID not match your board,
> the subsystem IDs don't match yours either (0x3b041186). So this driver
> is not the one that goes with your card.
>
> > I have to say that I'm quite puzzled by the fact that there seem to be
> > multiple versions of the DWL-520+ card (at least two, one with an Atheros
> > chipset and one with a T.I. chipset) but strangely there is only one
> > driver. Even stranger, the Drivers/WinXP/ directory contains only one
> > .SYS file. I guess there must be some magic in it.

> [...]

I'm using the AG-530 with ndis and everything works correctly. I'll be happy
to send you the .inf and .sys files that I use if you want them.

Beech
Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech_at_gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \