A4Tech Wireless mouse wheel not detected

From: Justin R. Smith <jsmith_at_drexel.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:02:32 -0500
FreeBSD jsmith.org 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Sun Nov 20 15:06:19
EST 2005     root_at_jsmith.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386

I have an A4 Tech wireless keyboard and mouse. Linux and windows both
find it to be indistinguishable from a PS/2 and use the mouse wheel. The
Stable FreeBSD doesn't respond to wheel events. sysmouse identifies it
as a microsoft mouse (with no mouse wheel) but depressing the wheel
generated middle-button event. Killing sysmoused and configuring the X
server to access

/dev/psm0

 (with the Zaxismapping, etc) doesn't change anything. I think the
problem lied in psm0 itself.

Running

xev

show that no X events are generated when turning the mouse wheel.

Any suggestions?