Re: Building new Athlon AMD64 Socket 939 or 940 machine

From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer_at_cons.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:55:10 -0500
Cian Hughes wrote on Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 10:55:02PM +0000:

> Hey, I'm in no rush on this one, but I'm planning on building a new
> Athlon AMD64 machine, It's primarily as a voip server and file
> storage box for home use and will have 8 SATA (possibly SATA-II)
> drives attached to a RAID 5 card, probably Highpoint (but i'm open on
> this).
>
> I am wondering, what have people on this list built recently, within
> these bounds, I'm looking to choose a motherboard with one or two
> 1000Base-T Ethernet ports (to keep PCI's free for other things, ISDN
> card, TV Tuner, etc...), if possible what has and hasn't worked, i'm
> not too worried about onboard HD controllers, etc.

I have a DFI SLI-DRI which is NForce 4 based and I am overall amazed
how well it works.  In particular the SATA controller (only tested the
first 4 ports).  As noted, right now the NVidia port doesn't work, and
in Linux the Broadcom port doesn't work, so right now there's no way
around a PCI slot.  Temperature monitoring doesn't work in FreeBSD but
does work in Linux so there's hope.

Here are my software RAID results:
http://cracauer-forum.cons.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29

The other recent 939 board I have is a Asus A8V-E SE (note SE,
otherwise it won't do dual-core) which is nice but underpowered.  The
GbE also doesn't work in FreeBSD (some other broadcom junk than on the
SLI-DR).

Having said all that, the Asus does ECC memory and the DFI does not,
so DFI is out for my choices for important machines.

What does work perfectly is my K8V-X, every device including
temperature monitoring, but it is socket 754.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer_at_cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/