Re: A4Tech Wireless mouse wheel not detected

From: Reid Linnemann <lreid_at_cs.okstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:07:13 -0600
Justin R. Smith wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>

>> You need to run moused with the -z4 argument to activate axis mapping
>> (put moused_flags=-z4 into /etc/rc.conf), but since you already tried
>> in X and said it didn't work ... might be worth a try though, less
>> opportunities for typos with moused compared to xorg.conf
>>
>> I myself use an A4 Tech Office 8K wireless mouse with moused,
>> connected to a USB port however, and had to change the default
>> usbd.conf line that runs moused to include the axis mapping switch.
>>

> Thank you1 I've tried this and nothing changes. I get the impression
> that the events are not being picked up at the /dev/psm0 level.
>
> After trying this, I changed my xorg.conf file and replaced
> /dev/sysmouse by /dev/psm0 (bypassing moused completely). X worked but
> the wheel didn't.
>
> If I find the time, I'll look at the psm driver myself. It looks as
> though it takes some special actions with A4Tech mice and the solution
> might be to force it to regard them as generic PS/2 mice...

change your Mouse0 InputDevice section in xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
         Option      "Buttons" "5"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Mapping the z-axis for moused shouldn't be expected to affect X (and
thus xev) if the X mouse driver still believes the device only has 3
buttons.

I have never seen a time when a wheel mouse is automagically fully
functional with X on FreeBSD. AFIK, these xorg.conf options have always
been necessary to enable the z axis.
--
Reid Linnemann
Senior Systems Analyst