Re: Building new Athlon AMD64 Socket 939 or 940 machine

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:44:23 +0000
On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 16:17 +0100, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> >>I have a DFI SLI-DRI which is NForce 4 based and I am overall amazed
> >>how well it works.  In particular the SATA controller (only tested the
> >>first 4 ports).
> >>

> >Out of interest, does FreeBSD correctly notice the hot-inserting of SATA
> >drives on this board?  I'm fighting with an NForce 4 based system at the
> >moment which notices the hot removal but needs a reboot before it
> >notices a new drive has been inserted (under FreeBSD, Linux and
> >Solaris).
> >

> That used to work on my MSI nf4 board on 6.0 forward.

Hmm, well that's promising.  This is with:
atapci1_at_pci0:7:0:       class=0x010485 card=0x5348108e chip=0x005410de
rev=0xf3 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    device   = 'nForce4 Serial ATA Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = RAID

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the board has on-board
NVIDIA RAID, which I'm considerably less than impressed with.  I'll
build one of them without the on-board RAID support and see if
hot-insert works.  I don't have the logs (long story, but basically the
RAID bios hosed my data) but I think it failed to notice the inserted
disk, and was timing out while trying to select the channel when forced
with an atacontrol reinit.

Gavin