Re: problems with -current

From: Mark Atkinson <atkin901_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:51:20 -0800
Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> dear hackers,
>
> after cvsup'ing recent current (as of yesterday evening pst) and
> building/installing new kernel/world i started having problems:
>
> problem 1: startx simply reboots my laptop. i can see x coming up, then
> after just a few seconds my laptop reboots. no window manager, no
> nothing. my laptop is a dell with some radeon video card. will provide
> more details on request.

I cvsup'd this morning and build/installed.   But it didn't go so well.

I see this as well, on my desktop (also a dell but with a intel graphics
chipset.  I note that I can do Xorg -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf and exit
out (ctrl-alt-backspace).   If I change my windows manager in .xinitrc
to exec twm.  I can open and close a few xterms just fine, but if I
ctrl-alt-backspace out the machine will reboot.

> problem 2: when system is booted and filesystem is not clean fsck is
> started and checks all dirty filesystems. then boot process continues as
> usual, however root filesystem is still mounted read-only, i.e.
>
> --->  /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local, read-only)  <---
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
> /dev/ad0s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> linprocfs on /usr/compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
> devfs on /var/named/dev (devfs, local)
>
> so, anyone sees this as well or its just me.

mount options are broken it seems.  -o rw, which is what everyone here
uses, no longer works.  Only -w -u / seems to work.   Then again
sometimes that doesn't and it will complain about the ad0s1a device
being invalid.

-Mark