Re: New libc malloc patch

From: Jason Evans <jasone_at_canonware.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:27:26 -0800
On Nov 29, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Jon Dama wrote:
> Let me take a closer look at what you are doing with regards to
> cache-lines.  You seem to be implying that you are only taking care in
> regards to how you malloc within a given page?

You are correct that I am only taking care about allocations within a
given page.

> I have a suspicion that it might just be better to dump the problem
> on to
> the application in the sense that no malloc should ever be less
> than the size of one cache line.  Perhaps this is what you are doing?

I am only worrying about cache line alignment for malloc's internal
data structures.  It's up to the application to do this for its
allocations, if necessary (doing so for all allocations would induce
unacceptable internal fragmentation).  This implementation provides
posix_memalign(3), which makes it much less painful for the
application to do so.

Jason