Re: bge driver autoneg failure and system-wide stalls

From: Emil Mikulic <emil_at_cs.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:04:43 +1100
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:48:02PM +0000, Bill Paul wrote:
> [...]
> Emil:
> > The switch is managed, and does gigabit.  It's a Nortel but I don't
> > know the exact model off by heart (I can look it up tomorrow if it
> > matters)
>
> It may, only if that helps determine whether the management API lets
> you turn off the ability to announce gigE support.

If this is, as you said, due to the wiring, then I'm not too concerned
about getting a lower speed autonegotiated.  Thanks for the 10_100_ONLY
patch though.

And the switch is a Nortel Networks BayStack 5510-48T and it _is_
possible to set a lower speed on a given port (this didn't occur to me
until you suggested it)

> [...]
> > I realise that I am doing stupid things with broken wiring and that it
> > won't work, but if the "periodic lockup" problem could be fixed, that
> > would be an improvement to the bge(4) driver, IMO.
>
> The above change should get you a link and will prevent the periodic
> lockup from occuring. I need to actually test the tsleep() change before
> I can give you a patch to try.

If it's helpful rather than detrimental to get another person to test
the patch, I'd be more than happy to.  I don't mind getting cut on any
rough edges, and the machine is a test machine anyway.

--Emil