Re: Building new Athlon AMD64 Socket 939 or 940 machine

From: George Hartzell <hartzell_at_kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:00:27 -0800
Martin Cracauer writes:
 > [...]
 > I'm no sure I recommend shuttles.  They tend to be loud.  Users buying
 > shuttles usually want small *and* quiet and don't realize both are
 > mutally exclusive and they have to pick one or the other (or a
 > Pentium-M system).  If you want it for transportability, fine, but
 > don't expect a nice living room citizen.

People (ok, Matthew...) seem to think that it's a neat machine, and is
quieter than previous Shuttles.

  http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2005-11/msg00027.html

I'm not looking for a silent pc (aka fanless mini-itx board, etc...),
but I'm hoping that with a fanless AGP board and a slow quiet disk I
might end up with a reasonably snappy (beat a 1GHz Celeron...) desktop
work machine.

Matthew was talking about the SN95G5.  Shuttle has a couple of other
socket 939 systems, but I'm unfamiliar w/ the chipsets they use and
that worries me.

Could one build a reasonably quiet office machine around the DFI board
you referenced (I'm not sure I can buy something called
"LanParty"...).

Crazy, or should I be cautious, or any other thoughts???

Thanks,

g.