Re: wpa_supplicant and WEP....

From: Alexandre \ <Alex.Kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:34:11 -0400
On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 21:07 -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:

> Ah... hex *keys*... plural!!  I should use all 4 of them?  I had been
> using just the one declared as the default key to tx.  I have attached a
> screenshot of what a linksys does when you setup WEP.  Give it a
> cleartext passphrase and it generates 4 hex keys.  On some systems you
> can enter the passphrase... others I've had to enter the 'default' key.
> Never thought to try all four keys at once.  Is that what you think I
> should do?
>
> > How are you entering
> > your hex keys?  The examples are a bit unclear, but digging around in
> > the code it looks like unquoted strings are assumed to be hex strings.
> > They should not be prefixed by 0x.
>
> I'll try them in the above format (I was prefixing with 0x).  I'm not in
> the office but will try my home AP.... BRB....
>
> Whoa!!!  That's IT!!!
> Am I the only person who couldn't figure that out???
> You must use all 4 hex keys and specify which is the default.

No, you don't -- at least on -CURRENT of week or two ago following
wpa_supplicant.conf works quite well:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
  ssid="SillySSID"
  scan_ssid=1
  priority=5
  key_mgmt=NONE
  wep_key0=0123456789abcdef0123456789
  wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)