Re: Weird freeze w/ skype w/kde in current of last 10-15 days.

From: <eculp_at_bafirst.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:21:55 -0500
Quoting Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd_at_orchid.homeunix.org>:

> eculp_at_bafirst.com wrote:
>> This is a really strange problem that even I don't believe;)
>> I have  7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #22: Fri Sep 23 05:39:20 CDT 2005
>> skype-1.2.0.11
>> kde-3.4.2
>> And when I start skype I get a hard lock.  No console message, no log
>> messages, nothing.  I have to turn it off and back on.
>>
>> The strange part involves the work arounds that are independient of one
>> another that I have found:
>>
>> Kernel compiled prior to around Sept. 9 works fine, zero problems with kde.
>> Current Kernel and using xdm in place of kde, works fine.
>>
>> Now I try to keep my box clean of old libraries and did a portupgrade
>> -Rruf of skype and kde with no changes and even that doesn't explain why
>> an older kernel would work unless I had some old libraries around, I
>> would assume and the working kernels aren't that old.
>>
>> To make it even more unusual I have 4 other machines showing the same
>> symptoms.  They are all AMD 32 bit w/ different motherboards and from
>> 256M to 2M in memory.  I don't have anything with an intel chip to test on.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I have no idea where else
>> to look.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ed
>
> 'Me too' kind of post (no one replied on -current or -ports).

No.  I finally gave up and switched to gnome and all is well.

> As soon as skype's window shows up everything stops - no mouse, no
> keyboard, no ssh connection from other machine, no nothing. It started
> in similar period of time (few weeks ago but I don't know exactly).

Roughly from somewhere around the 12th to the 15th, IIRC.

> Here's my setup:
>
> FreeBSD 6.0-BETA5 #2: Mon Oct  3 14:27:55 CEST 2005 i386
> AMD Athlon 2000+, 512MB
>
> I upgraded from 5.4-RELEASE (cvsup, make), recompiled all ports as
> instructed.
>
> Software used:
>
> skype-1.2.0.17              =  up-to-date with port
> (previously skype-1.2.0.11, same effect)
>
> linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_3  =  up-to-date with port
> linux-expat-1.95.5_3        =  up-to-date with port
> linux-fontconfig-2.1_4      =  up-to-date with port
> linux_base-8-8.0_6          =  up-to-date with port
> linux_dri-4.3.0_3           =  up-to-date with port
>
> kdebase-3.4.2_2             =  up-to-date with port
> kdehier-1.0_8               =  up-to-date with port
> kdelibs-3.4.2_1             =  up-to-date with port
> kdemultimedia-3.4.2_1       =  up-to-date with port
> kdeutils-3.4.2              =  up-to-date with port
>
> Linux compatibility module loaded at system boot (linux_enable="YES").

My configuration is the same even the processor and memory, maybe the
processor is the key.

> Any help appreciated.

My first workaround was twm but I got bored with that in about 5
minutes and switched to gnome, both of which work or a kernel for
before the above dates will work with kde.  As I said, it makes no
sense to me.

Good luck,

ed