Re: burncd/atapi multisession CD issues

From: Nate Eldredge <nge_at_cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Anish Mistry wrote:

> 	I've got a couple of issues, which both appear on RELENG_6 and
> -CURRENT as of today.  I'm not sure when they started as I mostly
> burncd multisession backups on my 4.x system.
> 	Once I burn a CD with burncd:
> mkisofs -r -J -o test.iso files
> burncd -f /dev/acd0 -s max -m data test.iso fixate
> The files burn just fine, but I have to eject and then close the
> drive. eg. "cdcontrol eject ;  cdcontrol close" before I can mount
> the CD.  If I try to mount the CD without the eject/close I get the
> following message in the syslog:
> kernel: g_vfs_done():acd0[READ(offset=32768, length=2048)]error = 5
>  The same goes (eject/close except no error message) before grabbing
> the multisession info with "burncd -f /dev/acd0 msinfo".
> When I try to burn another session with burncd I just get
> "Input/Output error" and the second session doesn't get added to the
> CD.
> This all seems like a problem with ata/atapi rather than burncd.

I think this is true on a number of systems.  I have noticed it on Linux
for instance.  It may be a hardware thing.  Burning seems to create some
sort of state which can't be read back correctly, but ejecting the disc
clears it.  Maybe some other sort of drive reset would suffice.  But
anyway the workaround is pretty simple.

--
Nate Eldredge
nge_at_cs.hmc.edu