Re: Problem building 6.0b5 on 4.11

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:30:03 -0700
> From: "Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs_at_gwi.net>
> Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 18:39:26 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> I'm trying to migrate my 4.11 box up to 6.0b5 via source, using both
> the migration doc for 5.x, as well as UPDATING from 6 to try and catch
> any potential gotchas.
>
> mergemaster -p goes through fine
>
> I nuked the old g++ headers as directed
>
> I then tried to do a make buildworld and this is where I hit trouble
>
> The first thing it wants to do is update make, I get the following
> when it tries:

I think you need to re-read the upgrade instructions. Unless I ma quite
confused, the correct order is:
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
cp sys/${MACHINE}/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints
make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
cd sys/boot ; make STRIP="" install
<reboot in single user>
/usr/src/etc/rc.d/preseedrandom
mergemaster -p
rm -rf /usr/include/g++
make installworld
mergemaster -i
<reboot>

You don't nuke the g++ headers until you have built both world and kernel
and built and installed the new loader. That my not be the problem, but
I am suspicious.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)