Re: Upgrading from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6 - Make world or binary install?

From: Thierry Herbelot <thierry_at_herbelot.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:16:46 +0200
Le Tuesday 11 October 2005 09:48, Daniel O'Connor a écrit :
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:38, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> > I had crashes with some KDE apps (akkregator or amarok, for example)
> > after upgrading a 5.4 station via buildworld/buldkernel (+ portupgrade
> > -fa), which disappeared after I installed a new 6.0 with a new set of
> > packages.
>
> Try putting..
> libpthread.so.1		libpthread.so.1
>
> in /etc/libmap.conf.
>
> It is likely that some programs are getting both versions linked at runtime
> which blows up on certain things..

Hello,

Thanks for the tip : I thought of this work-around, but I was not sure of the
syntax and anyway I wanted to restart anew.

The use of a jail to rebuild the system reduced the downtime to just a reboot,
and I don't have to think about obsolete libraries in either the core system
or the ports (and it only "costs" around 5Gigs of hard disk for a second,
spare partition which is used when swapping OS's)

	TfH