Re: Intel 810 and agpgart on 6.0-beta5

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:13:47 +0200 (CEST)
David Syphers <dsyphers_at_u.washington.edu> wrote:
 > I'm trying to install X.org 6.8.2 on a new machine, and failing. I'm running
 > 6-BETA5.
 >
 > When I try to run X (say with 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new') it fails with
 >
 > (WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
 > (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
 >
 > (If it helps, at this point the message "1. Analog Input Cannot Display This
 > Video Mode" appears on the ttyv8 screen.)
 >
 > I'm working on trying to figure out the warning, since I think my xorg.conf
 > looks okay, but my question at the moment is how do I get /dev/agpgart? Sure
 > enough it isn't in /dev, but I have 'device agp' in my kernel config, _and_ I
 > have 'agp_load="YES"' in /boot/loader.conf. So I'm not sure why it's not being
 > created...

Because you don't have a supported chipset.  I have the
same situation on my notebook with intel i915GM, for which
there is no agpgart support yet for FreeBSD.

I suggest you use the latest X.org snapshot from the ports
collection (6.8.99.12, ports/x11-servers/xorg-server-snap),
or download a precompiled package.  It works fine with 2D
acceleration, which is sufficient for standard applications
(web browsing, office apps, gimp).  However, you won't get
3D acceleration (for games), no hardware cursor support,
no xvideo extension (for video playback).  It's not a big
problem for me, because the CPU is fast enough for video
playback without acceleration support.  YMMV.

Having said that, there _are_ patches for i810 support.
You can find them in PR 80396.  After applying the patches,
I got /dev/agpgart and X.org picked it up -- but I had to
disable hardware cursor and acceleration in the X.org conf.
That means, even though I got the agpgart device, I ended
up losing 2D acceleration support.  Therefore I currently
recommend _not_ to use the patches from that PR.

I suspect that a newer X.org snapshot might help.  There's
even a recent release candidate of X.org 6.9.  But nobody
has done a FreeBSD port from it, and my half-hearted (due
to lack of time) attempt to it failed.

Best regards
   Oliver

"IRIX is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia
in a four-hundred mile per hour wind, balancing on a banana
peel on a greased cookie sheet -- when someone throws him an
elephant with bad breath and a worse temper."
        -- Ralf Hildebrandt