Re: Call for performance evaluation: net.isr.direct (fwd)

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:33:41 -0400
[Moved to -current as this is no longer net related.]

<<On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:28:04 +1000 (EST), Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au> said:

> values of HZ like 1000 -- with hz > stathz it is easy to use a periodic
> itimer to arrange to run about (hz - stathz) / hz of the time without ever
> seeing a statclock tick.

The whole point of statclock was that it was supposed to be an
exponential distribution centered on stathz, not strictly periodic,
precisely to prevent this problem.

With the new APIC clock divider code, we should be able to do this
fairly cheaply and at a higher rate than 128 Hz.  It was originally
developed on SPARC hardware so that architecture ought to be able to
do it easily.

-GAWollman