Re: Possible fxp(4) problem in -CURRENT

From: Dan Bilik <dan_at_mail.neosystem.cz>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:40:04 +0200
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:01:41 -0400
Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net> wrote:

>>through it. It seems to be the same problem as described in PR
>>amd64/82425 with one exception - there is no 'device timeout' in
>>logs.
> Its been a long time since I have seen
> fxp0: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM
> fxp0: New EEPROM ID: 0x48a0
> fxp0: EEPROM checksum _at_ 0x3f: 0xf0f7 -> 0xf0f7
> But, I seem to recall that when the driver detects this bug in the
> fxp card, you need to power cycle the box.  But after that, you
> should never see the message again.  On my old (i810) boards, I think

Well, it seems to be "lucky" day... One of our boxes stopped network
communication (as described in previous post) just an hour ago. After
power cycling it, dmesg says:
fxp0: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM
fxp0: New EEPROM ID: 0x48a0
fxp0: EEPROM checksum _at_ 0x3f: 0x356 -> 0x356
fxp1: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM
fxp1: New EEPROM ID: 0x48a0
fxp1: EEPROM checksum _at_ 0x3f: 0x7259 -> 0x7259

Probably no advance here.
Machine booted with apic(4) disabled - I prepared it that way after
short mailing with Maxime Henrion. We'll see if that helped.
So far there is significant performance drop because of SMP loss.

Dan