Re: boot panic (NDIS, SCHED_ULE?)

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:00:17 +0000 (GMT)
> Maxim Maximov wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >>     Got boot time panic on fresh CURRENT.
> >>     NDIS hardware:
> >>
> >> ndis0: <ASUS 802.11g Network Adapter> mem 0xfeaf8000-0xfeaf9fff irq 17
> >> at device 2.0 on pci2
> >> ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
> >> ndis0: Ethernet address: 00:0e:a6:c2:00:e4

Oh for crap's sake.

Some days I really, _REALLY_ hate FreeBSD.

I need to insure that DPC thread 0 runs on CPU 0, and DPC thread 1
runs on CPU 1, and so on. There are supposed to be separate DPC
threads for each CPU. Unfortunately, you can't specify a CPU
affinity when you launch the thread, and obviously you can't
do it during the device probe phase during bootstrap since only
CPU 0 is running.

I really don't  have the right solution for this right now. What
you _SHOULD_ do is stop loading your NDIS driver during boot. Instead,
take it out of /boot/loader.conf and load it with a boot script
after the system has gone multiuser. If you do it then, both CPUs
will be running.

I'm not sure of the correct solution for this problem. I have to
think about it. In the meantime, just wait to load ndis.ko, if_ndis.ko
and your_driver.ko after bootstrap.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose