New DHCLIENT Problem

From: Alex Ford <abford_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:52:18 -0400
Hello all -

I am having problems using the DHCP client in the base system to obtain
an IP address from my ISP.

I have a DSL modem (not a modem/router) that connects directly to the
computer, no router in between.

I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.0-RC1, 'uname -a' shows:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD box1.myfreebsdbox.org 6.0-RC1 FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 #0: Sun Oct  9
20:32:57 UTC 2005     root_at_x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386
$

During the post-installation configuration of the network interfaces
(using sysinstall) I tried configuring my network card (vr0) to be
automatically assigned an address via DHCP. It appeared to hang
(although it was probably just timing out) and dropped me to the screen
to manually configure the settings. I did so, giving it a static
192.168.0.x address so that I could get internet connectivity and
reconfigure it properly later on.

When I manually edited my /etc/rc.conf to include:

defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="workdesk.homenet"
ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"

...and my /etc/hosts to include:

127.0.0.1               workdesk  workdesk.homenet

...and /etc/resolve.conf contained:

domain	homenet
nameserver	209.172.0.5 (a known good DNS server from an ISP)

This has always worked for me in the past, so I thought nothing of it. I
then rebooted and when the time came to initialize the interface I get

Oct 21 15:10:28 workdesk dhclient[5516]: Bogus domain search list 15:
domain_not_set.invalid (domain_not_set.invalid)
Oct 21 15:10:28 workdesk dhclient[5516]: Invalid lease option - ignoring
offer

It repeats that a few times then exits and continues on with the rest of
the boot process.

I did some searching on this mailing list and, of course, discovered
that we had switched to a new dhclient program. To verify that it wasn't
just something wrong with my ISP/NIC/etc I installed the
net/isc-dhcp3-client port, edited my /etc/rc.conf appropriately, and
sure enough: it assigned an IP correctly and everything seemed to be
working as it always had.

So, I'm assuming (from reading the various problems people are having)
that with the behavior from this new dhclient program that I may
have/need to try various things with my /etc/dhclient.conf or something
similar(?). I looked at 'man 5 dhclient.conf', the example config and
understood the basic structure of:

interface vr0 {
	statement1
	statement2
}

I am, however, a little confused at how much/little stuff I would need
to include (since I obviously don't know what's wrong). At the bottom of
the man page it says the example is a complicated one and that most
users shouldn't need one that complex. So, I'm essentially asking for
suggestions of what to try there.

Also, if it could be something unrelated to playing around
with /etc/dhclient.conf I would like to hear those suggestions, too.

I appreciate any help and insight, thank you in advance.

-Alex