Re: rfcomm problems

From: Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin_at_savvis.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:17:50 -0700
Niki,

> i'm trying to setup a bluetooth gprs connection.
> the problem is that the connection works
> only if i start rfcomm_sppd on a TTY,
> and then start manually ppp with "set device" the
> same TTY.

have you tried to specify

   set device "!/usr/bin/rfcomm_sppd -a gsm -c 1"

inside your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file? this way ppp(8) will start
rfcomm_sppd(1) automatically and will use its stdin/stdout.

> rfcomm_pppd and rcomm_sppd with stdin/stdout
> does not work properly as the bluetooth modem
> echoes everyting back.
> I get the same results with the bluetooth modems
> on a Nokia 6230 phone and Motorola RazrV3.

do not panic :) i do not think it ever worked the way you are trying to,
i.e. running rfcomm_sppd(1) from the terminal. the stdin/stdout mode was
added specifically for the folks who wanted to use rfcomm_sppd(1) in
ppp(8), i.e. 'set device' just like above.

i should probably fix it just to avoid confusion.

> When i start rfcomm_pppd the ppp daemon begins to write in the log
> that he is talking to himself (several "magic is same" errors, and disconnect)

hmmm... thats strange... rfcomm_pppd(8) should not have this problem.

> But when i start rfcomm_sppd in the background on a tty
> it is working properly:
> ------------------
> root_at_phobos# rfcomm_sppd -a gsm -c 1 -b -t /dev/ttyp0
> root_at_phobos# cu -l /dev/ttyp0
> Connected
> atz
> OK
> ~
> [EOT]
>
> I'm running about one week old 7.0-CURRENT but
> have experienced this for quite some time.
> Also, i'm using a usb bluetooth dongle,
> and the /etc/rc.bluetooth init script.
>
> does anyone have idea what can be causing this?

i will look into this and fix it

thanks,
max