Re: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:23:57 +0930
On Thursday, 27 October 2005 at 14:57:10 +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> This would be interesting to know, doubtless, but please note that MySQL
>> 4.0 is either no longer supported or will reach that status in the
>> immediate future.  It would be more interesting to see what the
>> performance difference is between Linux and FreeBSD with MySQL 5.0,
>> which has just been released.
>>
>> If you find reasons to believe that any problems you're seeing are a
>> MySQL problem, please let me know.
>
> I'm not certain it's a "MySQL Problem" so much as a set of changes that
> happen to be less optimal on FreeBSD than Linux.

Understood.  That's why I wrote it the way I did.

Over the last few years, FreeBSD and MySQL have stopped working
together as well as they used to.  We recently saw a (single) customer
with crashes that we haven't been able to analyse, because they only
occur on their production system.  It looks as if the "solution"
chosen by customer management (against strong resistance from the
techies) is to move to Linux.

This kind of issue, but also performance differences, are a
disadvantage for both groups.  One of my tasks at MySQL is to do
something about that, but I'm spread pretty thin.  If anybody has
input on this kind of topic, I'd be interested to hear from you.

Greg