Re: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

From: Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst_at_clara.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:38:41 +0100
* Xin LI (delphij_at_frontfree.net) wrote:

> Some observations that I think can affect MySQL performance:
>  - Our malloc(3) implementation might be sub-optimal for the workload.

I've tried linking MySQL against some of the alternatives in ports.  I
must be missing something since I could never make it do more than start
up and lock up.

>  - Lack of some POSIX system call which was implemented in other ways
> (e.g. we do not have fsyncdata yet)
>  - Some detailed implementation difference between our and Linux's
> threading library, or MySQL itself.

Terry posted an interesting comment on /. giving some reasonable
sounding suggestions as to why MySQL's performance is so pessimised on
FreeBSD (and others):

 http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=162629&tid=7&cid=13611424

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst