Re: TSC instead of ACPI: powerd doesn't work anymore (to be expected?)

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:26:38 +0100
In message <4365EF7B.1020706_at_freebsd.org>, David Xu writes:
>Robert Watson wrote:
>>

>> It has been suggested that the former can operate quite well with
>> significantly reduced quality.  It has alos been suggested that most
>> applications could operate fine with somewhat reduced quality, but that
>> the API definitions don't say anything about how to specify application
>> quality requirements vs performance requirements for time measurement.
>
>Can we change gettimeofday and clock_gettime to lower resolution now?

I can live with gettimeofday(2) and time(3) being degraded.

I am going to insist that clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, CLOCK_UPTIME)
remain precise.

>I think 1000hz/s is enough for most applications, since a thread can
>never sleep shorter than a tick for years.

(Famous last words!)

Time is not just a matter of sleeping.

>We can introduce
>hrtime_t clock_gethrtime(clockid_t clock) to get hi-resolution time
>as the one seen in RTLinux, or gethrtime() as seen in Solaris (Daniel
>Eischen said?)

You know ?

This is just a great example of why people feel the autocrap tools
is the way to write portable code :-(

The open group specifically allow clock_gettime() to implement
more timescales, so what did those fools go and invent even more
library functions for ?

Poul-Henning