Re: panic after removing usb flash drive

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 02:02:17 +0200
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 05:02:38PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Bernd Walter wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:05:17PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> >What bugs are you refering?
>
> The CAM detach code should be returning EBUSY errors since the 'da'
> periph has open references to it.  I'm pretty sure that thse errors
> are being ignored by umass.c, leading to the SIM going away unexpectedly
> to CAM.

OK.

> >Sample code on how to correctly detach a sim a sparse.
> >The umass code doesn't know that devices on a scbus are in use, or
> >should it?
>
> Well, it doesn't need to right now because you only have one target
> per SIM.  It should though; most normal SCSI drivers keep a table of
> known devices in order to remember negotiated transfer settings and
> handle reconnections.

OK.

> >In the USB-world we have the problem that a blocking detach blocks
> >other port attachment/detachments on the same bus as well.
> >This is because we currently have a single thread per bus processing
> >these events.
> >We already see this problem with ucom devices where an open tty on a
> >detached device blocks.
> >But it is better than the panic that we have right now.
> >In the tty case we have a timeout, don't know what we can do with CAM.
> >

> In the sim-per-target model, you need to completely drain the simq and
> devq for the SIM before allowing detach to complete.  This means
> freezing the simq then waiting until the camisr can run and process any
> pending CCBs on the completion queue.  The camisr is an SWI, so you'll
> need to sleep so that it can run.

Sounds doable.

> >With the single-sim design we have had the following problems:
> >- probing of LUNs filed on attach and required a manual rescan.
> >  undoubly fixable by someone with good CAM knowledge.
>
> I'm not parsing this.  Are you referring to the need to do a rescan
> after plugging in a device?  This is easy to solve.  When a umass

Yes.

> target is attached, you either send an AC_FOUND_DEVICE async event to
> announce the target, or you request a bus rescan from within the driver.
> I think that the ciss driver has an example of this.

Don't know ciss, but I never had doubts that this is was a fixable
thing.

> >- CAM needs a max target value, but how many target do we really have?
> >  Each USB has up to 127 devices (pratically 100 useable as we need
> >  some hubs)
>
> The max target value is really only important for bus rescans.  The SIM
> can just track what targets it currently knows about and reject CCBs
> for ones that don't exist (it somewhat does this now, though with only
> one target per SIM it's kinda silly).  Setting the max target value to
> 127 and rejecting targets that don't exist won't slow down a bus rescan
> but much at all.

But you can have more than 127 umass instances per bus.

> >  Each device can have multiple functions, which means multiple umass
> >  instances.
>
> I have a umass device that is a CF+SD card reader.  It shows up in CAM
> as a single target with 2 LUNs.  Is this the kind of thing that you are
> talking about?  If so, then there is no reason not to continue to use
> the model of a single target with multiple LUNs.

No, that is multiple LUN with a single umass instance.
What I mean is a single USB device with multiple umass instances.
umass ist just a logical interface in the USB world, normaly ment
to allow e.g. an ulpt and umass on the same USB device, but also
possible to have multiple umass interfaces on the same USB device.
Since an umass interface needs at least two bulk endpoints a single
USB-channel can have up to 16 * 127 umass instances.

> >  Previously we had a small hardcoded number, too big numbers slow
> >  down bus rescans, too small restrict the number of possible devices.
> >  We should have a dynamic way.
> >Don't remember if ther were others.
> >
> >From the technical standpoint - no matter what we do, there are
> >problems to solve.
> >

> >>Your analogy of a PCI bus is correct for the USB-SCSI adapters, where
> >>the adapter is doing a full conversion and bridge from one bus type to
> >>another.  It's not true for a umass device where it's merely using the
> >>USB bus as a SCSI transport.
> >

> >So what is an USB-IDE converter?
>
> I assumed that you were talking about devices that bridge from USB to
> IDE/SCSI and did not conform to the umass standard.  I have a USB2-IDE
> converter in an external exclosure that speaks umass and is probably
> closer to what you are talking about here.  But again, umass is really
> about using the USB bus to transport SCSI/ATA protocol, not about
> providing full access to a SCSI/IDE bus via a USB tunnel.  That is a
> significant difference, IMHO.  The USB controller is acting in a direct
> role as the SCSI/ATA initiator, vs. just tunnelling to a smart
> initiator.

OK - I got it now.
Nevertheless I could imagine a pseudo USB-SCSI converter that just
enhances umass transactions with a target-ID.
This won't invalidate what you wrote above, since you still don't have
full access on the SCSI-bus, but also requires a sim per (enhanced)umass.

> >OK - that won't help for a practical solution.
> >In the practical way it sounded easier to go the multiple sim way.
> >sim detach needs to be fixed either way.
>
> Yes.  It somewhat works now as long as the system is completely idle.
> It breaks down horribly if I/O or error recovery is in progress and
> a periph driver is left with CCBs in flight and/or a dangling
> reference to a SIM.  The only way to deal with this is to allow
> blocking while CAM drains itself.

Have to think about it.

> >Are there any other technical reasons for doing single sim?
> >You've mentioned rescource arbitration and error recovery.
> >Is there anything that can CAM do for us that it won't with multiple
> >sim?
> >

> It means that you'll be able to detach umass targets without doing the
> complicated dance of sleeping for CAM to drain itself.  It also will
> mean that it's less fragile to edge cases that are hard to identify and
> deal with.  Fixing CAM detach so that this works reliably is definitely
> something that must be done, but you can't avoid sleeping in order for
> it to work.

Mmm.

bernd_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de